Cygwin api to punch a hole into a file?

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Mon Dec 4 16:07:38 GMT 2023

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin!

> I don't know how Windows stores short files,

By Windows I Think you did mean NTFS.
Then yes, file data for certain short values is stored directly in $MFT.
This is not specifically file contents, and even if a file content is just 1
byte, not necessarily it will be stored in $MFT. It all depends on the entire
size of file metadata. If it does not exceed some-under-1K in total, then file
data may be stored in $MFT as well.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin