Re: Cygwin's debuginfo package concept

On 2019-05-31 05:15, Soegtrop, Michael wrote:
> 1.) I just finished building mingw64-x86_64-gtk3-debuginfo-3.22.28-1.tar.xz
> from sources (using cygport) - this file does contain .dbg files (as
> expected). So it seems to be a bug in the specific package that
> mingw64-x86_64-runtime-debuginfo-6.0.0-1.tar.xz doesn't contain .dbg files
> (since this is the main MinGW runtime, this is a major issue and source of
> confusion).

Check under the package build directory .../inst/usr/lib/debug/... and whether
those files are in .../dist/${P}/${P}-debuginfo/${P}-debuginfo-${V}-{$R}.tar.xz

> 2.) Although cygport supports building
> mingw64-x86_64-gtk3-debuginfo-3.22.28-1.tar.xz, this file is not downloadable
> with the Cygwin setup.

Perhaps the maintainer did not use cygport ... upload to push the packages.

> 3.) A few other -debuginfo files for MinGW are so small (according to setup)
> that it is hardly imaginable that they contain .dbg files.

Obsolete packages: pkg-config was replaced by pkgconf.

> Btw.: I think it would make sense if -debuginfo files would be a separate
> column in the Cygwin setup (like bin and src). This would make it more
> obvious that such packages exist and also for which libraries they do or do
> not exist.
They do not exist for the large number of packages which have no compiled
components and are not debuggable in that way, and have not and are not always
made available for those which do.
Hopefully this will change as more package maintainers use cygport ... upload
instead of adhoc lftp where they may skip the -debuginfo packages.
Perhaps a plea and reminder to the cygwin-apps list would be timely?