Re: Python extraneous dependencies

On Tue, 2019-03-26 at 11:25 -0700, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 10:08:27, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> > > It seems that function doesnt even work:
> > >
> > > $ python3.6 -q
> > > None
> >
> > WFM (returns cygz.dll), do you have the respective -devel packages
> > installed?  Those are also required for find_library.
>
> still failing for me after installing "python36-devel".

I mean the respective library's -devel package, e.g. zlib-devel for
find_library('z'), etc.

> so the "binutils" dep should be moved from "python36" to "python36-devel". this
> way it only hurts people installing the development python, not also people
> wanting to run "print('hello world')"

Nak.  ctypes is part of the Python standard library and therefore the
dependency needs to be on the main package(s).

BTW, binutils is usually included by default in all but the most
minimal base installs, so I'm not quite sure why you object so much to
this requirement.

--
Yaakov