Cygwin fails to utilize Unicode replacement character

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Mon Sep 3 17:56:00 GMT 2018

Am 03.09.2018 um 19:16 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> On Sep  3 18:34, Thomas Wolff wrote:

>>> Only, I can't get this working.  In theory the GDI function
>>> GetGlyphIndicesW is supposed to allow checking if a certain character
>>> exists.  But I'm getting a weird result.  This code:
>>>
>>>     static const wchar_t replacement_char[2] =
>>>       {
>>>         0xfffd, /* REPLACEMENT CHARACTER */
>>>         0x2592  /* MEDIUM SHADE */
>>>       };
>>>     HWND cwnd = GetConsoleWindow ();
>>>     HDC cdc = GetDC (cwnd);
>>>     int rp_idx = 0;
>>>     WORD gi = 0;
>>>     DWORD ret = GetGlyphIndicesW (cdc, replacement_char, 1, &gi,
>>>                                   GGI_MARK_NONEXISTING_GLYPHS);
>>>     if (ret != GDI_ERROR && gi == 0xffff)
>>>       rp_idx = 1;
>>>
>>> always sets rp_idx to 1 when called from inside the Cygwin DLL,
>>> independently of the actual console font.  And, here's the really weird
>>> thing, it always sets rp_idx to 0 when called directly from an
>>> application, likewise independently of the actual console font.
>>>
>>> Does anybody have an idea what I'm doing wrong?
>> This works in mintty, just uploaded a patch. Maybe somehow the GetConsole
>> "dc" does not support this usage?
> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dito; hold on, sorry, your code does *not* work inside mintty.
Mine looks a bit different and I thought to have manually verified it's
functionally equivalent, but indeed there must be something fishy...