Re: Need help with multibyte UTF-8 characters

Am 14.12.2017 um 05:40 schrieb Brian Inglis:
On 2017-12-13 00:50, Thomas Wolff wrote:
On 2017-12-04 18:23, Thomas Taylor wrote:
Your Windows Regional settings and your mintty/Options/Text/Language and
Character Set should be set to match.
The profile commands below set Cygwin locale to your Windows Regional settings
and charset to UTF-8, or Unix locale to your system locale.
Otherwise your system or mintty is going to be doing conversions on each
character.
I am not aware that mintty character display and Windows regional settings would
interfere in any way you indicated.
Can you elaborate on this please?
Maybe I'm just too optimistic that software will DTRT to ensure that output is
faithfully passed thru, or converted for the next layer of software, if it has
different settings.
I set all of my locales the same so characters should pass thru transparently
and I can see output faithfully rendered, given adequate font configurations.
Mintty interfaces to Windows using the Unicode/UTF-16 API, so there is no dependency on the Windows system locale. I assume the original poster's problem is a font issue, unless a test case would demonstrate anything else.
Thomas

What happens when your system, terminal, and shell locales and charsets differ?
Either some component/-s has/have to do conversion to provide readable output,
which is my expectation given the requirement to specify locales and charsets,
or you could end up with garbled output if nothing is doing any conversion.
Does one override others to pass thru readable output, does conversion occur, or
do you just see junk in some or all cases when locales and charsets differ?

I am ignoring here the effect on text content, input and output formatting of
selecting languages, territories, and scripts.