Re: Cygwin sshd doesn't use domain user names on boot up

On 12/5/17 12:17 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:

Did you install the service by running ssh-host-config?

Yes.

FYI, I had to run ssh-host-config as a domain user. When I first ran it as a local Administrator, the ssh-host-config script printed the following:

*** Info: User 'cyg_server' has been created with password '<redacted>'.
*** Info: If you change the password, please remember also to change the
*** Info: password for the installed services which use (or will soon use)
*** Info: the 'cyg_server' account.

passwd: unknown user cyg_server
*** Warning: Setting password expiry for user 'cyg_server' failed!
*** Warning: Please check that password never expires or set it to your needs.
*** Warning: Expected privileged user 'cyg_server' does not exist.
*** Warning: Defaulting to 'SYSTEM'

*** Info: The sshd service has been installed under the LocalSystem
*** Info: account (also known as SYSTEM). To start the service now, call
*** Info: `net start sshd' or `cygrunsrv -S sshd'.  Otherwise, it
*** Info: will start automatically after the next reboot.

Check service dependencies with:
$ cygrunsrv -VQ sshd
Service             : sshd
Display name        : CYGWIN sshd
Current State       : Running
Controls Accepted   : Stop, Preshutdown
Command             : /usr/sbin/sshd -D
stdin path          : /dev/null
stdout path         : /var/log/sshd.log
stderr path         : /var/log/sshd.log
Process Type        : Own Process
Startup             : Manual
Dependencies        : cygserver, tcpip
Account : .\cyg_server

$ cygrunsrv -VQ sshd
Service             : sshd
Display name        : CYGWIN sshd
Current State       : Running
Controls Accepted   : Stop
Command             : /usr/sbin/sshd -D
stdin path          : /dev/null
stdout path         : /var/log/sshd.log
stderr path         : /var/log/sshd.log
Environment         : CYGWIN="ntsec"
Process Type        : Own Process
Startup             : Automatic
Account             : .\cyg_server

You may have to add an additional dependency on netlogon or other AD services to
ensure they are available before sshd starts.

I tried adding netlogon as a dependency to sshd, but didn't see any change in behavior.

If your service start is Automatic, you may also want to change it manually to
Automatic (delayed start), to allow time for network services to be available.

Changing it from "Automatic" to "Automatic (delayed start)" fixed the issue. This is my first time messing with Windows services and didn't see this option initially.

Thanks for the suggestion Brian!