Re: strange shell output using tcsh under Cygwin

Lemke, Michael  ST/HZA-ZIC2 wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 00:15:25 +0000 (UTC)
> Will Parsons wrote:
>
>>Under Unix-type platforms, checking on what the PATH variable is set to is
>>pretty easy - I typically use "env" and the displayed value of PATH is easily
>>parsed by eye.  Under Cygwin/Windows, one can do the same, but the value of
>>PATH is more likely to be considerably more complicated and harder for a
>>human to parse.  For example, this is what I see on my local machine under
>>Cygwin:
>>
>>   PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/c/Windows/system32:/c/Windows:/c/Windows/system32/wbem:/c/ProgramData/Oracle/Java/javapath:/c/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/Windows Live:/c/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/Windows Live:/c/Program Files/Dell/DW WLAN Card:/c/Program Files (x86)/Intel/iCLS Client:/c/Program Files/Intel/iCLS Client:/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0:/c/Program Files/WIDCOMM/Bluetooth Software:/c/Program Files/WIDCOMM/Bluetooth Software/syswow64:/c/Program Files (x86)/Windows Live/Shared:/c/Program Files (x86)/Bazaar:/c/Program Files (x86)/QuickTime/QTSystem:/c/cygwin/home/william/bin:/c/ezwinports/bin:/c/Program Files (x86)/PuTTY:/usr/lib/lapack:/usr/sbin:/c/msys/1.0/local/bin
>>
>>I thought it would be nice to write a simple script to make this more
>>comprehensible by breaking the path into separate lines, and so wrote the
>>following trivial script:
>>
>>   #!/bin/sh
>>   echo $PATH | tr ':' '\n'
>>
>>Oddly though, it does not give the expected results under Cygwin.
>
> As you wrote you are using tcsh try this:
>
> #!/bin/tcsh
> foreach i ( `seq 1 $#path` )
>   echo $path[$i]
> end
>
> Or this slightly faster one:
>
> #!/bin/tcsh
> @ i = 1
> while ( $i < $#path )
>   echo $path[$i]
>   @ i++
> end
>
> Lookup arrays in tcsh.

Thanks for the suggestion, but oddly enough, both the two versions of a tcsh
script you give yield the same result.

As an experiment, I modified the latter script to prepend an 'x' to the path
components:

   #!/bin/tcsh
   @ i = 1
   while ( $i < $#path )
     echo "x$path[$i]"
     @ i++
   end

and got the following results:

   x/usr/local/bin
   x/usr/bin
   x/bin
   x/usr/sbin
   x/usr/local/bin
   x/usr/bin
   x/bin
   x/usr/sbin
   x/c/Windows/system32
   x/c/Windows
   x/c/Windows/system32/wbem
   x/c/ProgramData/Oracle/Java/javapath
   x/c/Program
   xFiles/Common
   xFiles/Microsoft
   xShared/Windows
   xLive
   x/c/Program
   xFiles
   x(x86)/Common
   xFiles/Microsoft
   xShared/Windows
   xLive
   x/c/Program
   xFiles/Dell/DW
   xWLAN
   xCard
   x/c/Program
   xFiles
   x(x86)/Intel/iCLS
   xClient
   x/c/Program
   xFiles/Intel/iCLS
   xClient
   x/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0
   x/c/Program
   xFiles/WIDCOMM/Bluetooth
   xSoftware
   x/c/Program
   xFiles/WIDCOMM/Bluetooth
   xSoftware/syswow64
   x/c/Program
   xFiles
   x(x86)/Windows
   xLive/Shared
   x/c/Program
   xFiles
   x(x86)/Bazaar
   x/c/Program
   xFiles
   x(x86)/QuickTime/QTSystem
   x/c/cygwin/home/william/bin
   x/c/ezwinports/bin
   x/c/Program
   xFiles
   x(x86)/PuTTY

But regardless of solving the original problem, I'd still like to know why
the original script doesn't work under tcsh only.

--
Will