Re: Which is it -pc- or -unknown-

On 2017-10-19 15:14, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On 2017-10-19 16:00, cyg Simple wrote:

>>> Incorrect assumption.
>>
>> You keep saying my assumption is incorrect but that isn't the case.  My
>> assumption is based on data supplied by the configure process.
>
> Your assumption is that the default and chosen triplets must be one and
> the same.  They are not, they need not be, and we are far from being
> alone in this regard.  Once you accept *that*, then the rest of this
> will make sense.
>
> Several of us with years of experience in these matters have tried to
> help explain this to you.  Repeatedly pointing to the same piece of
> "evidence" as supposed proof for your "case", as if it were up for
> debate, isn't helping you to understand how things actually work.  This
> discussion would be better served by being specific about the package
> you are trying to build, how you are trying to build it, and the exact
> error message you are seeing.

I think the OP's problem is he knows no way to override the default and use only
the standard ./configure && make build approach. This seems to be explained
somewhat by running $ info autoconf "Site Defaults".

The OP could take a build config.cache and save it in /etc/config.cache, change
all -unknown-cygwin to -pc-cygwin, then create a shell script /etc/config.site
like:

# /etc/config.site for configure
#
# setup with export CONFIG_SITE=/etc/config.site in ~/.*profile
#
# Give Autoconf 2.x generated configure scripts a shared default
# cache file for feature test results, architecture-specific.
[ "$cache_file" = "/dev/null" ] && cache_file="/etc/config.cache"

then as noted above add "export CONFIG_SITE=/etc/config.site" to some
~/.*profile so it gets set up automatically.

He could also set up the script and cache files under $prefix/share/ for any
specific install targets, and not export CONFIG_SITE.

Or he could use cygport with the Cygwin source packages.