Re: Which is it -pc- or -unknown-

On 2017-10-19 12:59, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On 2017-10-19 13:40, cyg Simple wrote:
>> x86_64-pc-cygwin is just not correct regardless of the lack of past issues.
>
> As I have said several times, this assertion is incorrect.  You need to
> use the triplet which matches the toolchain with which you are building.
> For example, Fedora and RHEL all use $arch-redhat-linux as their
> triplet, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Vendor -unknown- is just a default in various config cases, so specifying -pc-
for consistency on Cygwin builds is a valid choice by the maintainers.

Perhaps a statement on the cygwin-apps list could clarify what should be done by
maintainers to ensure this override, and maybe retire the use of -unknown- by
any Cygwin apps in future, with a notice to this (cygwin) list for those who
choose to build packages from net sources.

Perhaps also patches should be submitted to the config and automake maintainers
to ensure that {i*,x86_64}:CYGWIN*:*... always produce vendor -pc-. Not sure
about vendors for {amd64,powerpcle}:CYGWIN*:*... in config.guess, which are
currently also set to -unknown-.