sshd login gives "unable to load user32.dll, Win32 error 1114"

When I try to log into sshd on one of my hosts as a particular user, I get the
dreaded

      2 [main] sshd 6444 C:\cygwin64\usr\sbin\sshd.exe: *** fatal error - unable
to load user32.dll, Win32 error 1114

I looked in the archives for this problem and found one discussion[1], which
referenced a FAQ[2] about using sshd in a domain. I don't have a domain, but I
went ahead and followed the instructions there anyway: On the server host I ran
(from an administrative shell)

editrights -u cyg_server -a SeTcbPrivilege
editrights -u cyg_server -a SeCreateTokenPrivilege
editrights -u cyg-server -a SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege

then stopped sshd, reran ssh-host-config, and restarted sshd. I still get the
error.

Two users are allowed to log in to sshd - call them user1 and user2. user1 isn't
a member of the Administrators group, and does have this problem. user2 is a
member of Administrators, and doesn't have this problem.

Can anyone suggest something else to try?

Thanks,
Andrew

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-02/msg00421.html
[2] https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.sshd-in-domain