Re: Python 3.6.1 fails to generate 256 colors, with xterm-256color, on Cygwin based 64-bit Windows 10.

On 2017-06-11 08:18, Richard S. Gordon wrote:

See how to make decent Cygwin problem reports at the link below my sig.

> 3. Python 3.6.1 generates 256 colors (65536-color pairs), with
> xterm-256color, on Cygwin based 64-bit Windows 10. However, the
> generated colors appear to be corrupted by overloading text
> attribute with specified foreground and background colors.
Could you please give some examples of what you expect to see and why,
and what you actually see?

Which Windows console are you running the test in: mintty, cmd, ...?

What are the results when you run it in another console?

Are you running a Windows Insider or some developer build?
That recently had a keyboard problem that was fixed a few days later.

> 6. Cygwin Problem Reporter's Test Case: This Cygwin problem can be
> demonstrated by running the Problem Reporter's
> test_tsWxColorPalette.py in Python 3x (developer-sandbox) which can
> be found in https://github.com/rigordo959/tsWxGTUI_PyVx_Repository
Could you please provide a direct link to a Simple Test Case program,
again with examples of what you expect to see and what you actually see?
I had to dig to find where you hid your test program.

If the program requires certain Cygwin python modules installed to run,
please state which Cygwin packages need to be installed.
The console, ncursesw, pty, or tty person trying to reproduce and
diagnose your problem may not be a python guy.

Plus which Windows console are you seeing the problems under?

Steps to Reproduce your problem are required.

Running your test under current Win10 x64, latest Cygwin, mintty,
python3, and also on Debian, I get:

$ python3 Downloads/test_tsWxColorPalette.py
test_tsWxColorPalette: ImportError (tsLibCLI); importCode=No module
named 'tsLibCLI'
test_tsWxColorPalette: ImportError (tsLibCLI); importCode=No module
named 'tsExceptions'
test_tsWxColorPalette: ImportError (tsLibGUI); importCode=No module
named 'tsLibGUI'
test_tsWxColorPalette: ImportError (tsLibGUI); importCode=No module
named 'tsWx'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Downloads/test_tsWxColorPalette.py", line 272, in <module>
    StandardTerminalEmulators = wxThemeToUse['StandardTerminalEmulators']
NameError: name 'wxThemeToUse' is not defined

> 4. Cygwin problem reporter's test platform is a 27" iMAC (with 3.5
> GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3) running Mac OS 10.12.5
> (Sierra). It uses the Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac (a hypervisor) to
> run the following guest operating system:

> e. Windows (10 32-bit, 10 64-bit) (NOTE: previously ran 32-bit XP, 7
> and 8.1). Only Windows 10, with Cygwin, includes support for Python
> 3.6.1 and support for xterm, xterm-16color and xterm-256olor.
What is the ||s VM screen interface config and the console screen config?

Please append cygcheck -svr output as a text attachment to your post, so
support folks can see what your environment is running.

Any chance you can test this on a bare Windows system with a fresh
Cygwin install and only the required modules?