Re: setup release candidate - please test

On Fri, 26 May 2017, Jon Turney wrote:

Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 18:25:17 +0100
Subject: Re: setup release candidate - please test

  Date: Friday, May 26, 2017, 8:05 AM

  > Can you give an example of a setup command
  line containing an invalid
  > option
  which "quietly does nothing" rather than reporting
  an error?

The example above, when started from a desktop icon,
in windos 7 enterprise.

Ah, maybe I have misunderstood what you meant: I thought you meant the invalid option is silently ignored, but you meant that when started like that, an invalid option causes setup to silently do nothing.

That's because the error is being written to a non-existent console. Unfortunately, knowing if we've been started from a terminal or not to report the error appropriately is a bit of a problem.

It's been a while since I did real Win32 programming, but I seem to recall there were some indirect ways of determining if you had a Console environment, like calling GetConsoleTitle() and if it returns an error then you don't have a console. Or maybe GetStdHandle() ?

If you detemine you don't have a Console, then create a pop-up dialog box showing the error with a dummy OK button?

I'd bet Corinna would have this kind of knowledge at her fingertips. :)

[snip]

--
--=> Peter A. Castro
Email: doctor at fruitbat dot org / Peter dot Castro at oracle dot com