Re: Inconsistent "Unable to extract /usr/bin/ssh-agent.exe" message and disappearing files

Greetings, Jan Normann Nielsen!

> Hello

> After using Cygwin for a couple of years, suddenly today a lot of files
> in my Cygwin folder were missing, most notably cygwin.bat and
> bin/ssh-agent.exe. I have no idea what has happened, the files were
> there yesterday. I don't remember if I did an update after yesterday's
> use, but I certainly don't remember any errors occurring if I did. I
> tried reinstalling the openssh package, but it refused to do so.
> Unfortunately I didn't write down the error message but I suspect it was
> the same as the one occurring below.

Assuming you run setup with elevated privileges… Sounds much like an
"antivirus" acting up.

> Instead, I decided to start from scratch. After assuring that I had the
> latest setup-x64.exe, I renamed my old cygwin64 folder and tried
> installing a default installation + opensssh on my C: drive. At the
> install of the openssh package, the installer stopped with the message:

> "Unable to extract /usr/bin/ssh-agent.exe The file is in use or some
> other error occurred. Please stop all Cygwin processes and select
> "Retry", or select "Continue" to go on anyway (the file will be updated
> after a reboot)." I chose "Continue" and rebooted. The installer
> reported no errors but this one. First of all, I don't understand the
> error message, because there doesn't seem to be a /usr/bin folder to
> install this file to, and from what I can see, the installer tries to
> install in /bin because it leaves a file "ssh-agent.exe.new" in that
> folder before rebooting. There is no ssh-agent.exe file in that folder
> which was empty at the start of the installation so I don't understand
> why it's not just created instead of forcing me to do a reboot. I choose
> "Continue", and the file did get renamed after a reboot, but Cygwin.bat,
> Cygwin.ico, Cygwin-Terminal.ico were missing from my installation. They
> didn't seem to be created indicating that the installer actually had
> more problems it didn't tell me about.

> Strangely enough, if I choose to install Cygwin from scratch in the same
> way except that I choose to install on my secondary (D:) drive, the
> installer doesn't produce the error. But I really don't want Cygwin on
> my D: drive. So I went back to installing on the C: drive again with the
> same error. Then on D: again without producing the problem. I have gone
> back and fourth at least 5 timers, but the last time I also got the
> error installing on my D: drive. There is no consistency on the (except
> for the drive) identical installation attempts.

> So I decided to keep Cygwin on my D: drive for the time being after a
> (seemingly) succesful install. I ran Cygwin.bat which created my
> skeleton files and gave me a bash prompt. Then I edited Cygwin.bat and
> put "ssh-agent.exe " in front of the bash command like I had in my old
> installation to aid in handling my SSH keys. I then ran Cygwin.bat which
> made the window pop up for a split second, then it closed again and made
> Cygwin.bat disappear along with bin/ssh-agent.exe. How did that change
> in Cygwin.bat delete (at least) two files? If I now try to recreate
> Cygwin.bat from a backup or save it from my Windows text editor, I get
> either a repeating message from Explorer telling me that I need
> administrator rights (which I have) to copy the file, or my editor tells
> me "Access denied" when trying to save. So the Cygwin installation is
> now broken and I can't repair it. I can delete it and start from scratch
> again.

Normally(tm) I just run pageant and ssh-pageant at user login.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...