Re: inetutils-server, OpenSP and units install glitches and fixes

On 3/27/2017 11:42 AM, Ian Lambert via cygwin wrote:

> On March 27, 2017 8:48:07 AM EDT, "Nellis, Kenneth (Conduent)"  wrote:
>> From: Ian Lambert via cygwin
>>> On a related note, using not ancient Red Hat 5.6 where the mirror is
>>> stored, tar won't expand the Cygwin packages?
>>>
>>> $ tar -xvf units-2.13-1.tar.xz
>>>
>>> tar: This does not look like a tar archive
>>> tar: Skipping to next header
>>> tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
>>> tar: Read 9640 bytes from units-2.13-1.tar.xz
>>> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
>>>
>>> $ tar --version
>>> tar (GNU tar) 1.15.1
>>>

>>> but tar Packaged by Cygwin (1.29-1) will.
>>>

>> I believe you need to tell tar if the file is in a compressed
>> format. Not sure if your version takes the same options as
>> Cygwin's tar 1.29, but there you would want to say (I suspect):
>>
>> $ tar -xvjf units-2.13-1.tar.xz
>>
>> --Ken Nellis
>
> I appreciate the suggestion, but j is for bz2 on redhat 5.6. There is an "xz" package we could install, but we're moving to redhat 6.4, with tar 1.23, and tar -xvf works there easy as 123. Ha.

This should work for both Cygwin and your Redhat Linux

  -a, --auto-compress        use archive suffix to determine the compression

You just need to ensure that the prerequisite software to do the
compression/decompression is in place.

--
cyg Simple