Re: cygpath -w converts relative paths to absolute windows paths

Greetings, Roger Qiu!

> Hi,

> I've found that `cygpath --windows '../` will give back an absolute
> windows path.

> I thought this would only happen if you provide the `--absolute` flag,
> or when the path is a special cygwin path.

".." is a special path, that can't be safely converted.
In all cases, using absolute path is preferred for many reasons.

> But this occurs just for normal directories.

> I have come across a situation where I need to convert ntfs symlinks to
> unix symlinks and back. Sometimes these symlinks have relative paths
> them. Now by using cygpath --windows, I get back absolute paths, which
> means the integrity of the symlink isn't preserved.

> Can `cygpath --windows '../directory'` give back `..\directory` for
> paths aren't special cygwin paths? These relative backslashes are
> supported in Windows right now.

AFAIK, Windows do not support relative junction points.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...