RE: open IE from command line

From: cyg Simple (https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-12/msg00240.html)

> FYI you can also use vi to translate those line endings
>
> $ vi foo
> :set ff=unix
> :wq
>
> or going the other direction,
>
> $ vi foo
> :set ff=dos
> :wq

Actually, the file downloaded just fine without CRLF line endings.

From cyg Simple (https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-12/msg00241.html)
> I suspect that it is your minimized PATH.  I'm not using that
> minimization because I need the Windows PATH to be productive.  I only
> install a minimal set of Cygwin and use Windows native when possible.

Actually, I reported in https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-12/msg00222.html
that my paths were the same.

From: myself (https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-12/msg00239.html)
> Thanx! That worked! Will have to scrutinize the script for the secret
> sauce. Curiously, when opened in by script, IE, which is my default
> browser, no longer recognizes visited links by displaying them in a
> different color. No biggie. Also curious why others weren't having
> this problem.

Mystery solved (to my satisfaction). After writing, I realized that the
script wasn't working consistently, sometimes causing IE to misbehave as
I originally posted. A bit of digging showed that it was working if
invoked from a bash session initiated by "chere", but not otherwise.
Comparing environment variables between the two, I notice my regular
session doesn't include several variables that chere does. Prime suspects:
 * CommonProgramFiles(x86)
 * CommonProgramW6432
 * PUBLIC
 * ProgramData
 * ProgramFiles(x86)
 * ProgramW6432
Experimentation will no doubt find the culprit, and will put me back
in business.

Thanx for all the help!

--Ken Nellis