Re: Windows 10 updates causes fork retry no child processes

On 11/03/2016 02:47 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Gerry Reno writes:
>> I think the simplest way for right now might be to have a batch file
>> run at startup that runs rebaseall.
>>
>> Something like these lines in a batch file:
>> cd C:\Cygwin\bin
>> .\ash /bin/rebaseall
>>
>> This would rebase the dlls each time after Windows Update forces a reboot.
>>
>> Do you see any issue with that?
> You are barking up the wrong tree.  If the Cygwin installation is
> unchanged (as you said it is), then each rebaseall will result in
> exactly the same base addresses for the DLL as before.  So yes, you
> could do what you say (provided that you didn't start any services that
> start Cygwin processes), but it wouldn't help anything.
>
> If your Cygwin installation is too big to fit into the address space
> (likely if it's a 32bit installation and you installed everything), then
> you need to trim it down.  If it's a 32bit Windows, you'll also need to
> switch to a 3GB user VM so the heap gets moved above 2GB.  If it's
> BLODA, you need to stop using it or configure it to stay out of Cygwin's
> business.  The thing that _does_ change each reboot is that any DLL
> using ASLR will end up in a different place until the next reboot, so
> unless you check which DLL you collide with (if it is indeed a collision
> and not an intercept), you'll always get a different Cygwin DLL name
> presented.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

The installation and applications are 32-bit that we've used for years.
The installation is very trimmed down, it is not an "everything" install.

How do I switch them to a 3GB user VM?

The W10 users can clear the problem if they wait some number of minutes and keep rebooting their machines.
Eventually after a while most of them get the problem to clear but this is a RPITA and it frustrates them no end.
One W10 user seems unable to clear their problem and we keep uninstalling and reinstalling everything for them.