Re: Windows Subsystem for Linux starts to compete with Cygwin?

Greetings, Evgeny Grin!

> On 27.10.2016 16:22, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Greetings, Evgeny Grin!
> Privet, Андрей!

>>> With latest Window Insider preview it's possible to run Linux command
>>> from cmd, Windows commands from bash and even use input-output redirects!
>>> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl/2016/10/19/windows-and-ubuntu-interoperability/
>>> Seems that WSL also automatically translate \r\n<->\n.
>>
>> Which will break a lot of tools not expecting this kind oh "help".

> A lot of?
> I don't know many... correction.. any GNU/Linux tools that works badly
> with \n newlines.

I was specifically referring to unexpected conversion, if you didn't notice.

>>> Is Cygwin still better for something?
>>
>> Did they fixed the user mappings?

> I don't know as I didn't have any problem with it.

As long as you're only user, you won't see it, but try to use it in a
multiuser environment.
Previously, it was not possible.

>>> I understand that WSL and Cygwin are completely different approaches,
>>> but from user perspective both are kind of sets of GNU/Linux commands
>>> and both are using some intermediate layer (cygwin1.dll or LXSS).
>>
>> WSL requires Windows 10. End of story.

> Do you mean, that Windows itself is a problem?
> Or version 10 of Windows is a problem? Anyway, all Windows users will
> use Windows 10 (or successors) sooner or later.
> So it's only the beginning of the story.

This is the same argument I hear over and over again. "suck it up, there's no
other choice".
There is other choice.

--
With best regards,