Re: Unknown+User Unix_Group+505 on smb shares in a domian

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 10:39:20PM -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Wayne Porter wrote:
> > The server that the W: drive is mapped on is not using domain accounts. As far as I know,
> > all Linux servers we have are running local accounts. Is there something I can set in
> > my local /etc/passwd to convince Cygwin to map it to my user account?
> ---
> 	If the linux servers are not exporting files under the domain account,
> then they files are not part of the 'domain' but owned only by the username
> on that specific linux-machine.  It sorta sounds like the linux server may
> not even be in the domain -- in which case mentioning domains only confuses
> the issue.

The reason I bring up domains is that I thought the solution might be close to
what was being discussed in the following thread:

It seems that setting the comment in the user account to the uid that the linux
machine has would possibly help, but I can't do that since it's not a local
account.

> 	Essentially you have a bunch of users on different machines that aren't
> sharing their files under any common (or shared) security authority
> (like a single domain).  Until you persuade the owners of those linux machines
> to move the linux machines under a common security authority (like a windows
> domain) and moving the user accounts into the domain.  Each local account
> would have to be moved to a domain account with the files under each
> machine-local account being moved (or "chown'ed") to the new, corresponding
> domain account).

The shares are mapped and working just fine in Windows. To IT, there isn't
anything that needs to be done. It just happens that Cygwin, which I'm the only
one using, maps the Windows mapped drives to an unknown user account and makes
using it difficult.

> 	This is an organizational problem that has nothing to do with
> cygwin, but whether windows and linux machines are using domain or machine-local
> security.  Until your linux machines and their local user become part of the
> domain, you can't expect any "write" privileges granted to you under the
> domain to work on the linux machines.

I have write permissions on those machines from Windows. Cygwin thinks I don't so
files are opened in read-only mode but when I force them to be written, it works.
I'm not sure if maybe I left this out of my initial information, but these are
shares that are mapped in Windows on login and there are no issues there, but once
I open Cygwin, I don't appear to have write access even though I do.

When mapping the drives in Windows, a username and password are given. Is there no
way to let Cygwin know about that username without joining the servers to the domain?
I know that this setup isn't ideal, which is why I'm trying to find a work-around.

Wayne