Sent: Friday, September 02, 2016 4:19 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com ; cyg Simple
Subject: Re: unzip, find broken by auto handling of .exe file extension

Thanks for looking at the problem.
Unfortunately not resolved...

1. As demonstrated by the provided ruby test case, it is very possible to
have a directory and base filename be the same. Open bash and try it.

$ mkdir mything
$ touch mything.exe
$ ls mything*
mything.exe

mything:
$

2. Even if cygwin somehow prevented it (it can't), zip archives do not
preclude the presence of a base filename with exe extension and same
directory name.

3. The problem is not simply exe - batch files (.bat, .cmd), powershell
(.ps1) and others are automatically picked up by cmd.exe processing, and can
all have common base names.

4. I tried unzip -x and it does not workaround the problem. 7z remains my
workaround and the only one I have found so far.

5. Terminating the find -path with / results in 'find: warning: -path
testAutoExeExpansion/test/ will not match anything because it ends with /'.

6. Terminating the target with / does not help.

7. Rmdir fails with 'directory not empty'.

8. I am NOT trying to run the executable, so the globbing should NOT
automatically be expanding 'test' to match 'test.exe'.
I would think that the only utilities that really should do that would be
'which', 'whereis' or shell command completion (not file completion).

Attached updated test case.

sja

-----Original Message----- From: cyg Simple