Proposal for new cygwin.bat which is independent from install directory

Traditionally setup.exe creates the /cygwin.bat file as follows if C:\cygwin is the install directory:
-----
@echo off

C:
chdir C:\cygwin\bin

bash --login -i
-----

The following should work since WinXP regardless of install directory:
-----
@echo off

cd /d %~dp0
if errorlevel 1 exit /b 1
cd bin
if errorlevel 1 exit /b 1

bash --login -i
-----

I would suggest to add something like the above as "/etc/defaults/cygwin.bat" to base-files package. The postinstall script should copy it to "/cygwin.bat" if new. The creation of this file could later be removed from setup.exe.

This more generic cygwin.bat is in particular useful for 'portable' installations of Cygwin on an USB device. I occasionally use such a installation to make rescue tools (dd, ddrescue, fdisk, hexedit, sleuthkit, ...) available to the minimal system provided by a Windows system repair CD.

Christian