cygpath -w and .exe magic

Dear Cygwin Community,

$ ls -l
total 60
-rwxr-x--- 1 knellis Domain Users 60927 Aug 26 08:57 hello.exe
$ ./hello
Hello, world!
$ cygpath -w hello
hello
$

The purpose of cygpath -w, it seems to me, is to provide
to Windows a valid path given a Posix path.

Given executable file foo.exe, which Cygwin allows to be
referenced simply as foo, should not: cygpath -w foo
return: foo.exe
instead of: foo
?

Passing foo to a Windows application will certainly
be a problem. I recognize this might be considered a
change of scope for the program, but I think the tool
should do the .exe magic rather than pass off this
responsibility to the user. Food for thought.

--Ken Nellis