Re: PATHEXT is fundamental to Windows and Should be recognised by CYGWIN

Greetings, Hans-Bernhard Bröker!

> Am 10.08.2016 um 03:01 schrieb Andrey Repin:

>> PATHEXT tells the shell to consider these file extensions executable.

Erik:
> PATHEXT is very simply a list of extensions CMD.EXE will automatically
> append to the given filename when searching the PATH for a command to
> execute.  Once a filename+extension is found, CMD.EXE still needs to
> know what to do with the given file to be able to execute it.

Hans:
> No.  That's what file associations do.  cygstart will apply those where
> needed, so let's consider that aspect of the case closed, shall we?

> PATHEXT has just _one_ job, in those few tools that even use it: it
> saves one the burden of referring to a file by its actual name.  It's
> what makes a given command of just

Yes, sorry. I was slightly confused myself.
I rechecked my facts afterward, and, indeed, cmd was successful in executing a
script through file association, given the name including extension, even
though I explicitly removed the extension from PATHEXT and respawned the
shell to be absolutely sure.

The point about <Tab>'ing of course makes PATHEXT less and less appealing in
its native form.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin