Re: PATHEXT is fundamental to Windows and Should be recognised by CYGWIN

On 8/5/2016 10:12 AM, cyg Simple wrote:

Cygwin is a tool for windows
first and foremost.  It was designed to help make life for those who
support both UNIX and Windows servers a little easier by not having to
convert scripts and utilities.

Well, that's one point of view.  Mine is that I get the standard tools
of Windows, kind of expected by business colleagues, etc., such as MS
Office and the like, while also getting my familiar (Unix) coding
environment for my classes and research (I am a computer science
professor).  I do maintain some personal scripts across platforms,
but I do not see that as Cygwin's primary purpose.  I would put it
this way, which I think is capture's Cygwin's stated goals:

To provide a POSIX environment (as close as is practical) running
natively under Windows (not within a separate virtual machine),
allowing the vast majority of POSIX compatible programs to be built
on and to run under Cygwin on Windows platforms.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily mind if PATHEXT were supported as
an optional extension, if it makes life easier for some folks.  If
you're going to do that, I think you get a better result by building
it into the cygwin.dll as opposed to making it a feature only of
bash.  I can see some of the arguments against PATHEXT, which is
why I think it would need to be an option.

Regards -- Eliot Moss