Re: Cygwin got V E R Y slow after network switchover

Greetings, Jim Reisert AD1C!

> Our company recently switched to an "active directory" network, with
> different login credentials.  Don't ask me what that is exactly.  Ever
> since, anything having to do with Cygwin takes seconds or minutes,
> whereas it used to be instantaneous.  Even having "uname -a" in a Take
> Command (like CMD.EXE) shell causes the shell window to take seconds
> to come up.  Comment out the uname, and the shell window comes up
> instantaneously.  You don't want to know how long I have to wait for
> an Xterm to start so I can run Emacs to open a file...

You could probably speed it up by running cygserver, which will provide
credentials caching for all Cygwin processes running in the system.
On another note, this is most unsettling to hear.
Do you run latest Cygwin? Are you connected directly to the network, or
remotely?

> My /etc/nsswitch.conf is as follows (the only thing I define is db_home).

> # passwd:   files db
> # group:    files db
> # db_enum:  cache builtin
> # db_home:  /home/%U
> db_home:  /cygdrive/c/Users/jr920141/Box%_Sync/Home

That's one very wrong db_home…

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin