Re: rebaseall ate my homework (Windows 10 install, that is)?

On Jun 28, 2016, at 3:48 PM, Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> I'm now pretty sure (it's happened 3 times since Thursday) that some
> aspect of postinstall (2.5.1 or 2.5.2) has broken my Windows 10 64bit
> installation.

Quoting from your setup.log.full:

> The following DLLs couldn't be rebased because they were in use:
>   /c/WINDOWS/system32/imgutil.dll
>   /c/WINDOWS/system32/msshooks.dll
>   /c/WINDOWS/system32/mssph.dll

âetc.  I may well be misunderstanding something, but I donât believe rebase has any call to touch such things.  It should only be looking at files under Cygwinâs own /usr, as far as Iâm aware.

Do you have paths such as these in /var/cache/rebase/rebase_lst ?

> Anyone else had a bad experience lately?

My Windows 10 test VM here was updated to 2.5.2 not long after Cygwin 2.5.2 was first released.  Nothing seemed to be damaged afterward.

> The first time the symptom was the Excel started refusing to launch

I donât have Excel on this machine, but I do have PowerPoint and Visual Studio.  Both are running fine.

> shortly after upgrading to 2.5.2, and after a reboot the system went in
> to a Repairing reboot loop.

Iâve rebooted this test VM twice, and given setup.exe a few extra passes, too, all with no ill effect.

The only odd thing I see is that Windows asks me twice if I want to trust the unsigned setup*.exe when I try to run it.

Whatâs preventing Red Hat from signing this, anyway?  Thatâs one of the things that corporate overlords are good for.

> After disabling that loop, the problem which showed up was the (per
> Google) infamous "\Windows\System32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt"
> problem, which is as far as I can tell unfixable, short of a reinstall.

Yes, thatâs very bad.  As I understand it, there isnât even a single hal.dll for a given OS release that you could copy over; I believe there are several versions of that DLL, one for each major type of computer Windows runs on.  Youâd have to find exactly the right flavor, and you wonât know what that is without a backup, in which case you wouldnât need to get it from a third party.