Re: No cursor visible on XTerms after upgrading to Cygwin 2.5.2

On 6/27/2016 10:53 AM, Jon Turney wrote:
On 26/06/2016 19:15, Mark Hansen wrote:
On 6/26/2016 6:58 AM, Mark Hansen wrote:
I'm having a problem since upgrading to Cygwin 2.5.2 yesterday. I
was running 2.5.1 previously.

When running X applications, the mouse cursor is not visible as I
move the mouse over the application window. When moving the mouse
across the display, I can see it change to the resize cursor when
hitting the edge of the XTerm window, but as soon as it moves
inside the application window, it vanishes.
[...]
After playing with this some, I found the -swcursor option to the
XServer was causing the problem. If I remove that, then the mouse
cursor is drawn in the X clients as expected.

I don't remember why I was using this option (I got the startup
options too long ago to remember) but in looking for information on
this option, there's not much in the way of an explanation.

So, I think the -swcursor option is broken as of 2.5.2, but do I
need it? I'm guessing I don't and so I'm going without it for now.

Thanks for reporting this issue.

This is actually caused by a recent change in the xserver 1.18.3-1
package [1], where -compositewm was made the default.

-swcursor is not compatible with -compositewm (because the window
contents are drawn from an off-screen pixmap, not from the screen
pixmap, where the software cursor will be drawn).

I'll update the man page to note this and look at ignoring or rejecting
-swcursor when -compositewm is enabled.

I don't know why anyone would need to use -swcursor.

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2016-06/msg00045.html

Thanks, Jon. I'm going to remove -swcursor from my usage.