Re: No cursor visible on XTerms after upgrading to Cygwin 2.5.2

On 6/26/2016 6:58 AM, Mark Hansen wrote:
I'm having a problem since upgrading to Cygwin 2.5.2 yesterday. I was running 2.5.1 previously.

When running X applications, the mouse cursor is not visible as I move the mouse over the application window.
When moving the mouse across the display, I can see it change to the resize cursor when hitting
the edge of the XTerm window, but as soon as it moves inside the application window, it vanishes.

The applications I've noticed this with are XTerm (run locally on the PC and remotely on a
Linux host) and a gvim application run on a remote Linux host, displaying to the XServer on the
local PC. I haven't tried others, so I'm guessing the same thing would happen with all X clients.

Since the same thing happens with X clients run on a remote Linux host (gvim and Xterm in this
case), it doesn't seem like the problem is with the local xterm.

I'm launching the XServer with the following desktop shortcut:

C:\Apps\cygwin\bin\run.exe -quote /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c "exec /usr/bin/startxwin -- -listen tcp -emulate3buttons -multiwindow -clipboard -swcursor"

I have an executable .startxwinrc in my $HOME directory which just runs one command, which
is an executable that just doesn't exist - which is used to prevent the XServer from exiting.

After playing with this some, I found the -swcursor option to the XServer was causing the problem.
If I remove that, then the mouse cursor is drawn in the X clients as expected.

I don't remember why I was using this option (I got the startup options too long ago to remember)
but in looking for information on this option, there's not much in the way of an explanation.

So, I think the -swcursor option is broken as of 2.5.2, but do I need it? I'm guessing I
don't and so I'm going without it for now.

Thanks!