Re: Re: cygwin python os.stat gives wrong ctime

On 5/28/2016 10:35 PM, Eliot Moss wrote:
On 5/28/2016 9:39 PM, Mitch Deoudes wrote:
According to the python docs, os.stat() gives the following for st_ctime:

"|st_ctime| - platform dependent; time of most recent metadata change on Unix, or the time of
creation on Windows"

cygwin emulates posix, so you should expect a posix-like result.

I understand your argument, and offer the following, which is from the same section of the python docs:

"On other Unix systems (such as FreeBSD), the following attributes may be available (but may be only filled out if root tries to use them):

 * |st_birthtime| - time of file creation"

Suggesting that it's not "anti-POSIX" (unPOSIX? aPOSIX?) to provide the information if it's available.

Anyway, I've found a more or less suitable workaround for now, batching up the queries and calling out to the shell - so I'll leave it at that.