Re: Show Symbol Table for OMF (.obj)?

On May 16, 2016, at 1:10 PM, Benjamin Cao <becao@progress.com> wrote:

> I am curious to know if there is a command that will display a symbol table for *.obj files. It seems as if commands such as "nm" or "objdump" do not do this. I get "File format not recognizedâ.

nm *is* the right tool, but only for file types it knows about.

You should only expect a platformâs native nm to support the native executable types of the platform it runs on.  In the case of Cygwin, thatâs various flavors of COFF and PE.  OMF is an entirely different format.

Cygwinâs nm happens to also support ELF for some reason, but that is yet a third object format.

Assuming libbfd knows OMF, you could rebuild your own OMF cross-development toolchain.  Then *its* nm would be the right tool for the job.

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_File_Descriptor_library