Re: `CYGWIN=winsymlinks:nativestrict`, `ln -s target link` fails if target doesn't exist

On 04/28/2016 05:06 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Bottom line, I think the native symlink creation code should be
>> checked and a possibility should be added to create links to
>> non-existent targets, rather than the current behavior of failing.
>
> This is actually an arguable behavior, even in Linux. I can imagine the
> behavior is "undefined" in such a case.

POSIX says a symlink to a missing target is perfectly well-defined (you
can't stat() through it, but you can readlink() it). But Windows native
symlinks can't do that.  So the problems you are encountering all stem
from the fact that you are trying to make Windows do something it can't.