Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

Warren Young scripsit:

> (Open question: does UfWâs Bash shell accept UNC paths?)

No.  It treats a leading double slash as a single slash, despite the Posix
permission to do otherwise, and treats a non-leading double slash as an
error, despite the Posix requirement not to do that.  (I have reported
this bug to Feedback Hub.)  Thus, even though "cat ./dogs" works,
"cat .//dogs" returns ENOENT.

> Iâd say UfW checks off most of the defining characteristics of an
> OS: thereâs a separate kernel and userland, it does scheduling,
> mediates IPC, keeps processes from stomping on each otherâ  About
> the only thing it doesnât do is privilege separation, but if thatâs
> a necessary qualification for a thing to be an OS, a Linux box booted
> into single-user mode isnât an OS, either.

Actually, it does do privilege separation independent of Windows.
I added cowan as a user with useradd -m, and I just do "su - cowan" by
hand as the first thing when the initial bash starts up.  All is well;
I get EPERM when I try to write into /bin.

> âYou keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.â

/me grins.

> If that is your decision for yourself, thatâs perfectly fine.
> However, I predict that a whole lot of people will find uses for this
> technology, thereby making it âuseful,â by definition.

+1

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
If you have ever wondered if you are in hell, it has been said, then