Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

On Apr 13, 2016, at 9:25 AM, Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@yandex.ru> wrote:

>> On Apr 12, 2016, at 1:22 PM, Eliot Moss <moss@cs.umass.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> It will be interesting to see how they map identities and permissions!
>
>> They don’t map identities at all, a fact that is clear from this presentation:
>>
> In other words, this is a useless bullshit?

Cygwin didn’t have AD/SAM integration until about a year ago.  So, Cygwin was useless until last year, too?

Ubuntu for Windows is as useful today as pre-Cygwin 1.7.34 with a nearly empty /etc/passwd file, containing only the user’s POSIX UID to Windows SID mapping.  Which is to say, not useless at all.

The fact that it has limitations merely means it isn’t going to wipe Cygwin off the map immediately.  When/if Microsoft fixes all the limitations w.r.t. Cygwin, Cygwin is in deep yogurt.

> No SSHD, no cron, no… nothing?

sshd is currently broken because they have no pty layer to speak of.  Anything else that depends heavily on ptys is broken for the same reason, such as tmux.

As for cron, I see no reason why that wouldn’t work, at least for a single user.  If you mean that you don’t get a system-wide cron service, so you can schedule jobs to run as SYSTEM or similar, then yes, I wouldn’t expect that to work any time soon, if ever.