Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

On 4/12/2016 1:01 PM, Andrew Schulman wrote:
I don't think I'll count on Microsoft to maintain a usable Bash shell
without twerping it in some fashion so it becomes incompatible (like
they tried with numerous other products they "adopted"). The comment on
Greeks and gifts is right on target.

To be clear, bash here doesn't come from Microsoft - it's not Microsoft bash.
It's Ubuntu's bash package, and all the rest of Ubuntu userland, including for
example apt-get, so you can install whatever other Ubuntu packages you want and
run them in Windows. At least in theory.

What Microsoft is providing is the Linux kernel API. Of course there's still
plenty of room for mischief or misimplementation there.

It will be interesting to see how they map identities and permissions!

Regards -- Eliot Moss