Re: fts_read failed error during Cygwin find, du, etc operations

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Corinna Vinschen
<corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On Mar 21 10:22, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Kenneth Wolcott
>> <kennethwolcott@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 8:56 AM, Corinna Vinschen

>> > Hi Corinna;
>> >
>> >   1. Many files, not necessarily a long directory name.
>> >
>> >   2.  Output requested:
>> > $ /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo /cygdrive/y
>> > Device Type        : 7
>> > Characteristics    : 10
>> > Volume Name        : <vol_Eng>
>> > Serial Number      : 2684354580
>> > Max Filenamelength : 255
>> > Filesystemname     : <NTFS>
>> > Flags              : 4000e
>> >   FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH  : FALSE
>       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>       This means the drive won't be recognized as a Netapp drive.  A
>       Netapp is expected to have this flag set to TRUE.  I can change
>       that, but it won't probably help at all in your case.
>
>> >   FILE_CASE_PRESERVED_NAMES   : TRUE
>> >   FILE_UNICODE_ON_DISK        : TRUE
>> >   FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS        : TRUE
>> >   FILE_FILE_COMPRESSION       : FALSE
>> >   FILE_VOLUME_QUOTAS          : FALSE
>> >   FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_FILES  : FALSE
>> >   FILE_SUPPORTS_REPARSE_POINTS: FALSE
>> >   FILE_SUPPORTS_REMOTE_STORAGE: FALSE
>> >   FILE_VOLUME_IS_COMPRESSED   : FALSE
>> >   FILE_SUPPORTS_OBJECT_IDS    : FALSE
>> >   FILE_SUPPORTS_ENCRYPTION    : FALSE
>> >   FILE_NAMED_STREAMS          : TRUE
>> >   FILE_READ_ONLY_VOLUME       : FALSE
>> >   FILE_SEQUENTIAL_WRITE_ONCE  : FALSE
>> >   FILE_SUPPORTS_TRANSACTIONS  : FALSE
>> >
>> >   3. Attached strace output.
>
> The strace does not contain any error which isn't expected.  Are you
> sure the problem occured when you created this trace?
>

> Corinna

  Hi Corinna;

  Thank you for your analysis.

  Yes, many/most (not all) of the people here like Windows (SIGH), so
they dumb everything down to fit Windows, so yes, the NetApp is
mounted with case insensitively.

  Yes, I'm quite sure that this "fts_read failed" error occurred
during the trace call.

  I ran your suggested command again:

strace -o du.strace du -sh /cygdrive/y/Mobility/
du: fts_read failed:
/cygdrive/y/Mobility/Darkeyes/Dailybuilds/client/iphone/6.1.30.121/RadSipIPhone/appl:
No such file or directory

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott