Re: 2.4-2.5 x64: bash crashes on backticks, gdb crashes on opening core dump

20.03.2016 15:47, Marco Atzeri ÐÐÑÐÑ:
On 20/03/2016 10:05, Ivan Pozdeev wrote:
bash
----
I'm being plagued by these crashes for about half a month now.
Specifically, it cannot run any `configure' script.
The crashes appear to happen in child bash/sh processes launched while
processing backticks. Other times, commands with stream redirection fail
silently or produce nothing. Simple commands or very short scripts do
not fail.

Any BLODA around ?
None that I managed to find (checked with AVZ for interceptors, autoruns from a boot disk for suspicious entries, procmon for 3rd-party drivers in call chain). There might be something from hardware drivers, but none were installed two weeks ago.

On trying to open `sh.exe.core', gdb 1.10 crashes, too; gdb 1.9 says
"get_core_register_section: Assertion `core_vec' failed" (see
attachment). So I'm unable to diagnose bash's problem right now.

At another machine with the same packages, bash does not fail, but gdb's
problem stands. Already tried reinstalling all the packages `bash'
depends on and itself to no effect.

gdb
---
I managed to debug the gdb session with VisualGDB (trial).
It turns out, the root cause is that the /bin/sh executable is x64, but
the core file `sh.exe.core' - of the same executable - has i386 format!
(objdump: <...>sh.exe.core:     file format elf32-i386)

Are you sure about the 64 bit dumper ?
https://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/dumper.html
There's only one copy on my system and it's a 64-bit exe:
$ which dumper
/usr/bin/dumper
$ cygcheck -f `which dumper`
cygwin-2.4.1-1
$ objdump -h `which dumper` | head
/usr/bin/dumper:     file format pei-x86-64
<...>
Already tried reinstalling the package as well as trying other versions available (2.3.1 and 2.5.0). specifying full windows-style path to the exe as `man dumper' says doesn't change anything.

Regards,
Ivan