Re: Don't I get /etc/profile with a fresh installation?

Greetings, Gerrit Haase!

> I have some business to do with Cygwin, again. Yeah!

> I have a fresh installation now, but found, there is no /etc/profile,
> no PATH set besides the Windows inherited PATH, so of course I can not
> use the shell, e.g.

> -bash-4.3$ which ls
> -bash: which: command not found
> -bash-4.3$

> Also after first invocation of the Shell, there is no HOME directory
> created, no files in the Windows Users directory etc.

> Back then there was some postinstallation script which was creating
> basic files like /etc/profile and other basic things were created with
> the first login, like /home/<user> directory, including basic files
> there.

> Regards, I think this was working better years ago back in the old
> days of Cygwin B20, err... 1.5 or 1.7.

I've installed 2 or 3 Cygwin suites from scratch in the last year and it was
fine. If anything cropped up, it is either very recent, or local to your
environment. Check setup logs for any discrepancies.
And, of course,
> --

With best regards,
Andrey Repin