cygwin libusb missing one device

Greetings. I installed the current cygwin on a Win32 system specifically to
use libusb functions. This mostly works, except it appears that the library
doesn't see one particular USB device, even though its driver loads and the
associated Windows app works OK. Unfortunately, I need to use libusb to load
in new firmware, and while the same hardware works fine with libusb when set
to use different drivers (via different VID/PIDs), in this one important case
the libusb functions simply don't seem to see the device at all (e.g., lsusb
doesn't list it, the library open/read/write functions fail, etc.) Any ideas?
Thanks very much.

--Lauren--