Re: snapshots (archive files) are too big ... Why?

On Jan 23 13:59, Houder wrote:
> Hi Corinna,
>
> Just curious if there is a reason ...
>
> I was able to extract cygpath.exe from cygwin-inst-20160121.tar.xz
> (snapshots)
> in order to test your last modification to cygpath.cc. No problem here.
>
> However, when examining the contents of the archive, I was surprised to find
> the SAME version of cygpath.exe at least three times ...
>
> The size of cygwin-inst-<date>.tar.xz (and cygwin-src-<date>.tar.xz) has
> grown
> (suddenly) by a factor of 3 or 4 since 2015-07-20 ...
>
> The same applies to winsup-src-<date>.tar.xz (since 2016-01-15) ...
>
> In all cases it is because the archive contains the SAME version of a file
> at
> least three times (as far as I can tell).
>
> To summarize: No, I am not reporting a problem here; I am just _curious_ as
> why these archive are so much bigger than they (apparently) need to be ...

I found out why this happens, I just don't know why it only occurs since
2015-07-20.

The reason is the script is using an expression along the lines of

  find ... | tar -T - --no-recursion -cjf ...

It turns out that the --no-recursion option only works for me, if it
comes *prior* to the expression specifying the filenames to archive.
That is, I had to change the script to use

  find ... | tar --no-recursion -T - -cjf ...

instead.  Funny enough, `info tar' still contains an example using
the original order...

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat