Re: Updated: Perl distributions

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 10:33 AM, Jim Reisert AD1C
<jjreisert@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Let's say that I installed one of these modules using "cpan
> install..." instead of downloading from the Cygwin repository:
>
>> perl-Archive-Zip-1.55-1
>> etc.
>
> How can I go about reversing that to use the module from the Cygwin
> repository instead?  Is it as simple as downloading the module from
> the Cygwin repository, or do I need to uninstall the module from my
> Perl installation first?
>
> --
> Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us

There is no easy way to remove modules installed via CPAN.  You can
Google how to do it, but it's mostly manual.  You also need to
consider how to handle dependencies that were pulled in.

To avoid this in the future, only install packages using the package
manager (i.e. cygwin setup), and for anything that's not in there, use
the perl local::lib module to setup a dedicated location for any
additional packages you need.

~ Brian