Another reason to not corrupt winnative symlinks: :currenly, they are linux-CIFS compat. Cygwin's are not.

David Macek wrote:
Can you describe what purpose does your C:\proc serve? I'm not currently arguing for or against Corinna's proposal, I'm just curious.

---
Notice the date on it... I created it 2-3 years ago...
but it was likely to get some behavior to work the same
with windows utils and linux utils.  I have my cygroot
set to '/' (sorta)...and paths on my linux box and windows box often resolve to the same file. Since the underlying NT OS is slash impartial, many pathnames will work w/o conversion.

That's why I tried to get Corrina to support the MS-View of MS-junctions being the MS-equiv of linux Mount-points --
She's wiping out linux compatibility by turning them into
the same as 'symlinkd' entries.

I also had both cygwin32 and cygwin64 working on my system
at the same time, with win-applications invoking the 'correct
bit-wise versions and libs by using Ms's 32/64-bit 'system32'
redirect, but having things like tar and rsync ovewrite your
mountpoints on every install and update made it a high maintenance
task.

Basically my login to both machines looks very similar -- same
bash setup.

What was really 'cool' is mounting my win-fs near the root
and having the Windows symlinks ... this is another good reason
not to screw w/things... it will break linux compatibility
even more...   The symlinks on Windows work as unix symlinks
when the share is mounted on a unix dir.  So on linux, I see:
l--------- 1            0 Jul 16  2013 D -> /??/UNC/Ishtar/Documents/
l--------- 1            0 Feb 28  2015 M -> /??/UNC/Bliss/Music/
l--------- 1            0 Feb 28  2015 P -> /??/UNC/Bliss/Pictures/
l--------- 1            0 Mar 28  2013 Share -> /??/UNC/Bliss/Share/
l--------- 1            0 Apr 21  2013 prog64 -> Program Files/
===(among others)...
But those links resolve on linux - I just
created a dir in root named '??'.. etc. and filled
out the structure... so file access on from my linux
machine can resolve seemlessly.  If corrina changes
to a non-compatible symlink format then they won't resolve
as linux symlinks under linux CIFS.