Re: Compile test ncurses program to run independent of cygwin?

On Nov  5 20:30, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Daniel Goldman!
>
> > # Found /usr/x86_64-pc-cygwin/sys-root/usr/lib/libncurses.a
> > # Will this let me compile for dos window? Apparently not.
> > $ i686-pc-mingw32-gcc \
      ^^^^
      So you're building for 32 bit mingw

> > -I /usr/x86_64-pc-cygwin/sys-root/usr/include/
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	    Pointing the compiler to header files for a Cygwin build,
	    which is a *different* target (i686 vs. x86_64 *and* mingw
	    vs. cygwin)...

> > ncurses.c -L /usr/x86_64-pc-cygwin/sys-root/usr/lib/ -lncurses
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
		      same here

> > ... undefined reference to `initscr'
> > ... more "undefined reference" error messages

...and that's logical result.  Along the same lines you could try to
link powerpc-linux ncurses against arm-freebsd binary.  That just won't
work.

What you need is a i686-mingw ncurses.  Have a look around on the net or
try to build your own.  However, it will probably not work correctly in
a Cygwin pseudo tty due to lack of the Cygwin compat layer implementing
them.

> > My questions:
>
> > 1) Did I make a compile-line syntax error? Is there a variation of the
> > i686-pc-mingw32-gcc command line so I can use cygwin to compile
> > ncurses.c to run in dos window, independent of cygwin?
>
> I'm no expert, but my first answer would be "yes".
> You shouldn't use cross-compilers directly, rather, use appropriate GCC
> switches to specify host and target subsystems.

Nope, use cross compilers.

Corinna

Red Hat