Re: Mounting a network share

On Nov  2 12:06, Mike Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 05:26:51PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > >
> > > I went and found the Cygwin web page that describes fstab.  What it doesn't
> > > say is how to use it.
> >
> > It does: https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table
>
> What I mean is that I was able to create an entry, but I have no idea how to
> get the mount program to read the contents.
>
> > > I have the following entry:
> > >
> > > 192.168.1.40:/Public /Public nfs noacl 0 0
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > This syntax isn't known in Windows.  Use the same syntax as with SMB
> > shares, just use forward slashes:
> >
> >   //192.168.1.40/Public /Public foo binary 0 0
> >
> > "noacl" has no meaning on NFS shares, btw.
>
> No there no explantion on how to enter a user and password.  I tried the nfs
> syntax because it doesn't require a password.

The Cygwin mount is no actual mount command because it doesn't mount
anything.  It's not an OS.  The mount point in Cygwin is just a
translation from DOS to POSIX path as outlined in the documentation.
The first field in fstab is basically the underlying Windows path, just
with forward slashes.  The *actual* mounting, as on Linux, has to be
done on the OS level.

If you have to attach to a remote drive with username and password, you
have to use `net use ...'.  In case of NFS mounts you can also
(preferredly) use the $SYSTEMROOT\\system32\\mount.exe command which is
part of the Windows NFS client installation.  Due to this executable
name clash between Cygwin mount(1) and NFS mount(1) command, you have to
call the latter typically with full path, e.g.

 $ /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/mount -h

Alternatively, if the mount doesn't require a username/password because
the mapping is done in AD or some RFC2307 service(*), just use the
SMB-like path (even for NFS) in the Cygwin mount table:

 //server/share /cygwin-path foo binary 0 0

HTH,
Corinna

(*) There's also a way to map the anonymous account to a certain
    uid/gid value using a registry entry:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sfu/archive/2009/03/27/can-i-set-up-user-name-mapping-in-windows-vista.aspx

Red Hat