Re: compile ncurses "hello world" to run independent of cygwin?

On Nov  2 10:14, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 7:48 AM, cyg Simple <cygsimple@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11/1/2015 11:09 PM, Darik Horn wrote:
> >>
> >> Unless there is a specific reason to cross through Cygwin, it could be
> >> easier to use the native MinGW environment directly:
> >>
> >> * http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Getting_Started
> >>

> > Poppycock! There is no reason that the user couldn't use Cygwin as the
> > one and only system to build native binaries.
>
> I'm relatively new to this mailing list.  Apologies if this is well
> covered ground....
>
> The last time I checked (a few years ago), my understanding was the
> cygwin dll's were licensed such that any programs using them had to be
> GPL (or equivalent).

Yes, when linking against the Cygwin DLL there are GPL issues.

But that wasn't what "cyg Simple" was referring to.  The Cygwin distro
comes with a Mingw-w64 cross compiler and libs.  When you use those to
create Mingw binaries, you are not linking against the Cygwin DLL.

So, as "cyg Simple" wrote, there's no reason that you can't use the
Cygwin distro as environment to build non-Cygwin binaries.

There's also the fact that the aforementioned mingw.org project is
rather behind.  The Mingw-w64 fork (which is used by Cygwin as well,
incidentally) is more up to speed in terms of WIndows lib and header
file support.

Corinna

Red Hat