Re: Error accessing mapped drive >2TB?

Greetings, Warren Young!

>> Apple should have registered with Microsoft their own reparse point tag.
>> Instead they broke the rules and used Microsoft's
>> IO_REPARSE_TAG_MOUNT_POINT

> If Apple uses their own tags, wouldnât that cause the Windows SMB client to
> be unable to understand Unix mount points, when if it comes across them?

My understanding is that the data stored in reparse point is not intended for
end user (in this case, client system's Explorer) consumption, but solely
exists for the benefits of the host file system management driver.

> I donât see that the Apple SMB server really needs to report Unix mount
> points at the root of a share, but they could also appear in the middle of a
> share, at which point I assume there are important implications to SMB,
> equivalent to the inode uniqueness problem on Unix.

> Therefore, I can see that Appleâs SMB server needs a way to tell the client
> that it is crossing a filesystem boundary.
> The question is, is the way Apple chose  a sensible one?

The very presence of the reparse point attribute is all that client system
needs to know. The data stored in it is (supposedly) of little utility outside
the host filesystem.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin