Re: How to correctly rebase?

On Oct 18, 2015, at 5:14 AM, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:

>>> Or switch to 64-bit Cygwin?
>
> what does 64 bit Cygwin require?   Only any Windows on a 64 bit
> hardware or a 64 bit Windows on a 64  bit hardware?   I suspect it's the
> latter â

You are correct: 64-bit Cygwin requires 64-bit Windows.

(But 32-bit Cygwin will still run on 64-bit Windows, which is why we donât ask if youâre running 64-bit Windows.)

As for your driver problems, have you checked whether newer versions of 64-bit Windows include the necessary drivers?

While it may be true that your hardware requires third-party 32-bit only drivers under Vista, it may also be the case that later version of Windows have native support for that hardware, so Microsoft has ported the driver to 64-bit.

Vista has been out of primary support for 3.5 years now.  Itâs long past time to upgrade anyway.

If upgrading the OS simply is not an option, you might at least refresh your current Cygwin installation:

1. Stop all Cygwin processes

2. Rename c:\cygwin to something else

3. With an Explorer window showing the contents of c:\old-cygwin\bin, reinstall Cygwin to c:\cygwin, adding only the packages you know you need right now.

4. After starting the new Cygwin instance, copy over /cygdrive/c/cygwin/home/Chef and whatever else is unique about c:\old-cygwin.

If nothing else, this would have gotten you back into action a lot faster than the 7 days youâve been fighting with your current installation.

> I've appended the output below

Iâll echo Ken: you were asked to *attach* the output to the message, not paste it in at the end.  In addition to not reducing the SNR of search results, attachments make it easier to read your message, since most readers wonât want to scroll past pages and pages of details about your system.

> Service             : cron
> Display name        : Cron daemon
> Current State       : Running

Someone else caught this, but Iâll repeat it: Until the Cygwin cron service is stopped, Cygwin is still running, so a rebaseall will not be as effective as it should be.

> Service             : cygserver
> Display name        : CYGWIN cygserver
> Current State       : Running

Ditto.