Re: Https proxy auth issue with git in cygwin 2.2.1

Adam Dinwoodie <adam <at> dinwoodie.org> writes:

> I think I've found the problem, and you're right -- Git has changed the
> way it makes the curl call.  The culprit is commit 5841520b in the
> upstream Git repository, which has the following commit message:
>
> | http: always use any proxy auth method available
> |
> | We set CURLOPT_PROXYAUTH to use the most secure authentication
> | method available only when the user has set configuration variables
> | to specify a proxy.  However, libcurl also supports specifying a
> | proxy through environment variables.  In that case libcurl defaults
> | to only using the Basic proxy authentication method, because we do
> | not use CURLOPT_PROXYAUTH.
> |
> | Set CURLOPT_PROXYAUTH to always use the most secure authentication
> | method available, even when there is no git configuration telling us
> | to use a proxy. This allows the user to use environment variables to
> | configure a proxy that requires an authentication method different
> | from Basic.
>
> I can't confirm this is the problem, though, as I don't have a test
> environment that uses NTLM.
>
> Do you have the ability to either run a test version of Git I can
> produce that patches out this change, or (better) to build Git yourself
> without this patch to see if that is indeed the change that's causing
> the problem?

Hi There,

I can into the exact same problem after upgrading to the latest cygwin version.

So, following your advice, I took git-2.6.1.tar.gz from github, untarred,
and modified http.c:

$ diff git-2.6.1/http.c t/git-2.6.1/http.c
466,467c466,468
<     if (curl_http_proxy) {
<         curl_easy_setopt(result, CURLOPT_PROXY, curl_http_proxy);
---
>       if (curl_http_proxy) {
>               curl_easy_setopt(result, CURLOPT_PROXY, curl_http_proxy);
>       }
469c470
<         curl_easy_setopt(result, CURLOPT_PROXYAUTH, CURLAUTH_ANY);
---
>       curl_easy_setopt(result, CURLOPT_PROXYAUTH, CURLAUTH_ANY);
471d471
<     }

One make configure, ./configure, make and make install I can confirm that
unpatching the change undoes the problem :)

> Adam

Johan