Re: Cygwin bash for loops : repeated errors : [main] bash 1972 fork: child -1 - CreateProcessW failed for <bash.exe> errno 9 bash: fork: Bad file descriptor

>>> As does not fail on my computer, I suspect is a race between your AV and
>>> cygwin and sometimes cygwin wins.
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> Marco.
>>
>> Good for you. I don't have AV SW as I mentioned. And even so, that still makes it a bug.
>
> Your system timing performance as so poor that something
> is likely interfering.
> Don't assume that is a cygwin bug.
>
>> Anyhow, a suspicion is speculative. I thought this mailing list was meant to report issues, and I think this is an issue.
>
> Yes, this is the right place.
>
>> How can I further diagnose this? Is there a known way to further determine what's causing this?
>
> start with
>  > Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
> "Run cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out and include that file as an
> attachment in your report. Please do not compress or otherwise encode
> the output. Just attach it as a straight text file so that it can be
> easily viewed. "
>
> so we can look at your system configuration.
>
>> Regards,
>> Paul
>
> Marco

After observing for a week on the system with the fix applied, I did not see this issue reoccur.
I do however still suspect that it is a bug in cygwin, indeed a race condition of some sorts, which probably becomes apparent when starting up a process takes (much) longer than expected.
As said, the guard32.dll is probably scanning the new CreateProcess candidate. I suspect that there's an timing assumption in the Cygwin fork code. But as I cannot be sure, I leave it at that.

Regards,
Paul