Re: Issue with Autotools and Perl on Windows 10

-----Original Message----- From: Gilberto Perez
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 1:08 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Issue with Autotools and Perl on Windows 10

I have never had this problem until I upgraded to Windows 10. When
attempting to use 'autoreconf', I get the following messages:

main::scan_file() called too early to check prototype at
/usr/bin/aclocal-1.11 line 644.
Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex;
marked by <-- HERE in m/\${ <-- HERE ([^ \t=:+{}]+)}/ at
/usr/bin/automake-1.11 line 4159.

I'm not sure how important they are, but it might be the cause of some difficulties I've been having.

These warnings emanate from perl.
Neither will be related to any problems you are experiencing, AFAICT.

You can eliminate the second one by inserting a backslash immediately prior to the offending "{".

You can eliminate the first by changing the "scan_file" at line 644 with "&scan_file" - though that works by turning off prototyping, which is not the fix that the autotools developers went with. Looking at aclocal-1.15, I see that they've chosen to leave prototyping enabled, and instead they've declared the function (near the beginning of that file) early enough for the parser to find it (before it gets called).

Could your problems be that installing Windows 10 has somehow downgraded your autotools to 1.11 ?

Cheers,
Rob