Cygwin setup change directory permissions

Cygwin setup keeps showing error about package unknown in file
inetutils-server.sh, so ran it manually and saw the actual problem:

$ cd /etc/postinstall
$ ./inetutils-server.sh
*** Warning: The permissions on the directory /var are not correct.
*** Warning: They must match the regexp d..x..x..[xt]
*** ERROR: Problem with /var directory. Exiting.
*** Warning: The permissions on the directory /var are not correct.
*** Warning: They must match the regexp d..x..x..[xt]
*** ERROR: Problem with /var directory. Exiting.

Both /var and /tmp have the same directory permissions as everything
else, which is drwxrwx--- and getfacl says other:--- and icacls says
Everyone:(Rc,S,RA).  It's easy enough to fix the problem, grant
everyone:f using icacls to /var and /tmp while I'm at it.

My question is about how Cygwin setup works.  Could Cygwin setup
change directory permissions on install, first of all to *stop*
permission inheritance from parent directory in the directory where it
is installed, then, to specifically establish sensible default
permissions on certain directories it creates like /var and /tmp so
packages can get installed and run normally?

A second topic is that I got blocked running Cygwin setup from a
different user, since it was owned by first user and world writable
permissions didn't exist.  Could Cygwin setup allow everyone else to
update Cygwin, perhaps the top single directory where Cygwin gets
installed have parent inheritance cut off, and an original permission
granted "Everyone:F"?